Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Habanero/Garlic Sauce...

This is my first attempt;


It actually turned out pretty well; it's really quite a simple sauce. It consists of 4 main ingredients; Habaneros, garlic, pumpkin, and tamarind. 
Habaneros (33 and 1 small Bhut Jolokia) are the predominate flavor with garlic (60 cloves) present behind the peppers. The heat level is hard to judge because I can handle quite a bit, so for me, it's maybe 5 or 6 on a 1-10 scale; but some people would consider it very hot (maybe an 8 or 9). 
I need to sit down with this sauce over the next few days to get an overall impression and decide if the recipe is a keeper. Cheers. 

Update:  It's been a week and I have been using my sauce almost everyday; dip for chips, dip for chicken, dip for fried garlic pork, added to Minestrone soup (delicious) and as a covering for baked chicken breast and potatoes (baked together). The sauce flavor holds up very nicely and it is very versatile as well. 
The only thing I'd do differently is to add more pods to get a bit more heat. My wife doesn't agree with that; she thinks it's plenty hot but, as a true chili-head, I'd like more heat. Cheers.  

2 comments: