Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Harvesting and Preserving...

...when one finds themselves producing more than they can consume. I should think this is every grower's dream; but it can present problems if one doesn't have anywhere to move the product. This is where preservation becomes a solution.
The options are many; freezing, drying, pickling, canning, giving away to neighbors, and selling (if one has a market). A market is in the works; the neighbors think Habs are too hot, I can't find canning supplies, pickling is not an option at this time; so, freezing, drying, and powder are easy answers. Here's some pictures of my efforts so far;


Orange Habanero dried pods above and powder below.




I haven't yet used the dried pods for anything except powder. The powder is excellent; as hot as expected and a slightly smoky flavor, delicious. This may be my favorite form because of it's versatility and unique flavor. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment