Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Fertilizers, Numbers, and Nutrition...

The further I get into growing C. chinense, annums, and baccatums the more I'm not impressed with numbers like 16-16-16, 8-24-24, 0-10-30, and 3-2-2.  Numbers are akin to steroids and have little to do with nutrition. The only non-organic nutrient I've used is Fetrilon-Combi 1 which is a source of magnesium, iron, zinc, boron, copper, etc.,etc.. Soil in my region of Thailand is deficient in many of these micro-nutrients; thus the use of this product. But Fetrilon isn't food; it's more like vitamins/minerals.
For food I'm using compost, wood ash, and cow manure. This feeds the plants and builds a healthy soil with a thriving community of healthy microbes.
Recently I've learned of Vermi-Compost Tea. It is rich in beneficial bacteria. Three days ago I bought the equipment to make some. The equipment is an air pump (the kind used for aquariums) and a couple of air-stones. Here's the recipe;
1-1/2 c. Vermi-Compost
2 tbsp. molasses or raw sugar (food for the microbes)
1 gal. chlorine free water
Combine all ingredients in a bucket w/lid and run air through it for 24 hours. Strain the solids out (cheese cloth works) and mix 1 part tea with equal part water and spray foliar or pour in the soil.
I had made 4 gallons which yielded 8 gallons when mixed 1:1 with, in my case, rain water. I fed the tea to all 30 of my plants. Here's a pic of the pump set-up. Click on the picture for a larger image;

Everything in the picture cost a total of ฿500 (which is about $14 USD).
Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. can i drink the tea first or is this fresh tea ready for the pot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't drink it; but your plants will love you for letting them drink it. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete