Friday, September 30, 2011

Dropped 9 Pods in a Week? Ouch!

My Costa Rican Reds:
The first 2 were showing signs of rot before they dropped. Over the course of a week 9 hit the ground including 1 that was almost ripe.
Fertilizer; check.
Magnesium; check.
Calcium; none.
Hmm, BER (blossom end rot) is a sure sign of a calcium deficiency, especially if the plants are getting a proper dose of magnesium.
I applied an organic fertilizer I found here that includes bone meal (calcium source) and within 4 days the pods stopped dropping and no sign of BER.
It's now 7 days and the pods are looking good and haven't lost any more.
So, a heads-up out there regarding the importance of calcium.

My Orange Habaneros:
I lost one orange Habanero plant to....something? I could not see any insects on the plant.
I've been treating with Chitosan and the other 5 are looking fine. They are budding up and will be producing in a week or 2.




No comments:

Post a Comment