Monday, January 25, 2010

Birds, Insects, and a Note About Pots

Birds and Insects; since I put the net around the pots, I've had no further problems from birds.
Insects are an unknown factor at this time. I haven't had anything (insects) attack any of the plants. It may be because it's not a native species, so there are no insect predators. Or, maybe it will take awhile for some enterprising insect to discover a new menu. There are many choices of herbicides and insecticides available here so I'm not too concerned. I'd rather deal with things naturally, but will do whatever it takes to bring in the crop.
So far so good.

Pots; previously I had mentioned I would be using non-glazed pots because it's very difficult to over water plants when using them. For germination, I will continue to use them; but for the final pot I changed my mind and have gone with 16" dia. x 12" dp. glazed pots with saucers. Heres why; occasionally I'll need to be away for a few days (up to 4 or 5) and if I use unglazed pots they're likely to go dry after 2-3 days. Glazed pots will hold water for a longer time, especially if I water until the saucers fill thereby giving a reservoir which will wick up into the pot and should give me 5-6 days before the plants would go critical. The other factor is that after the plants roots become bound by the limits of the size of the pot then over watering becomes almost impossible. Cheers and good growing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment